The Joliet Police Department actively promotes citizen involvement in law enforcement and currently provides a ride-along program for citizens to participate in. The department encourages all interested citizens and also students who are involved in a college-level criminal justice internship program to participate in the program.
- All persons desiring to participate in the program must be at least eighteen (18) years of age, except for the following; any Joliet Township High School students that are currently enrolled in the school district’s Job Shadowing Program and need to participate in order to complete the requirements of the program .
- Ride-Along participation will be restricted to no more than one (1) per month and will be no longer than four (4) hours in length. Exceptions to this are students that currently enrolled in a college-level criminal justice course and are currently participating in the department college internship program.
- Request for participation in the ride-along program must be made in writing by completing the department’s Release and Covenant Not to Sue Waiver form. The form can be printed out (click HERE), completed and mailed to the department or dropped off in person at either of our facilities.
- After the necessary background (criminal history) checks have been completed, applicants will be contacted by the relevant Division Commander (or his designee) and the Ride-Along scheduled.
- All participants in the Ride-Along program must be dressed appropriately when reporting for the assignment. Examples of inappropriate clothing would be; clothing that is excessively dirty, soiled or torn; any clothing that displays language or symbols that are profane, gang-related or offensive; any clothing that excessively tight/clinging or revealing (ladies must be properly covered); any clothing that is excessively loose or baggy (all pants/skirts must cover all necessary body parts and be able to stay fixed with a belt); sweat suits/jogging suits are not considered appropriate attire. If participants are judged not to be dressed appropriately, they will not be allowed to participate in the program.
If citizens who are interested in the program have further questions about the program, please direct any inquiries to:
Joliet Police Department
Attn: Ride-Along Program Coordinator
150 W. Washington Street
Joliet, IL 60432