The designated “Trick or Treating” hours in the City of Joliet for Tuesday, October 31, 2017, will be 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
As you plan for a safe and happy Halloween, please keep in mind these safety tips:
- Houses wanting to be visited by “Trick or Treaters” should leave porch lights on.
- Parents should accompany all young children while “Trick or Treating”.
- “Trick or Treaters” should only visit houses and apartments of people they know.
- Children should take their treats home for parents to inspect before eating.
- Children should be reminded to walk, not run, between houses and use sidewalks when available.
- Remind children to practice caution when crossing the street and cross only at intersections when traffic is clear.
- Motorists should be careful and alert during and around these hours.
- Parents need to purchase, or make costumes, that are light and bright enough to be clearly visible to motorists.
To avoid a truly scary Halloween – think a house fire – avoid illuminating your carved pumpkins with real flames. Halloween poses a special risk because people tend to place jack-o-lanterns by their front door or in windows, where they can easily come in contact with flammable materials or get knocked over. For a similar look minus the danger, use battery-operated lights, like LED votives.
Following these safety tips will ensure that we all have a safe and happy Halloween.